Wednesday 17 June 2009

DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION- AUDIENCE RESEARCH

DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION- AUDIENCE RESEARCH

QUESTIONNAIRE I have asked a range of 30 people for this questionnaire  from different genders and ages to help get a fair idea for my demographic research for my media products.

1) GENDER: (please tick)

MALE [7]                                                       
FEMAL [23]

 Looking at gender is an interesting question because I can compare how different genders prefer different genres of music. The graph clearly shows that the majority of the people I asked were female; however I did try to have a variety of gender to make my results fairer. In my findings I found that most females I asked preferred danced/hardcore music than male.

2) AGE: (please tick)

16-21 [22]

22-31 [7]

32-41 [1]

42-50 [0]

51+ [0]

The most popular age was between ’16-21’ which means that my target audience age will be aimed at’16-21 year olds’. This is a good age to target because I can relate to this younger generation. Most dance/ hardcore is aimed at the younger generation due to the fact that most 18year olds can legally go out raving. It would have been interesting to see the difference in age in my audience and how my products would have been affected if I had to target an older audience.


3) WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE GENRE OF MUSIC?

ROCK/HEAVY METAL [1]

TRANCE / ELECTRIC [3]

DANCE / HARDCORE DANCE [12]

R’n’B / HIP HOP [2]

CLASSICAL [1]

 DRUM AND BASS / DUB-STEP [5]

BASSLINE/ SPEED GARAGE [6]

OTHER [ ]

 Analyzing the charts, ‘DANCE/ HARDCORE DANCE’ was considered popular in the questionnaire with ‘BASSLINE / SPEED GARAGE’ taking second place. Hardcore is a form of dance music typified by a very fast tempo. Hardcore evolved from rave music around 1991–1993 which shows that ’16-21’ will have been brought up with it, which could be the reason why it’s a popular genre.

 

Bassline is a type of music related to UK garage that originated from speed garage, and shares characteristics with fellow subgenres Dubstep and grime for their emphasis on bass. The style originated in Sheffield around 2002[1]. 

  This shows that Bassline has only just emerged into the mainstream and it has potential to become popular in the UK, which could be the reasons why it was popular music genre.

 

I wasn’t surprised to see that ‘HEAVY METAL/ROCK and ‘CLASSICAL’ wasn’t very popular because genre of music like that is typically represented to the older generation and the poll age results were from ’16-21’.

 Therefore the genre of music I will be focusing will be Dance/hardcore. My music video will have a popular Dance/Hardcore track.

No comments:

Post a Comment